The O'Hare community area, whose borders include O'Hare International Airport, is seen as a major commercial center, boasting a high concentration of corporate jobs, shopping options, and entertainment. The area was not always this way, though. O'Hare, then called Orchard Place, was a sparsely populated area when, in 1942, Douglas Aircraft took over Orchard Place for the production of cargo planes for World War II.
"The facility became a commercial airport" after production for the war ended, "and in 1947 the Chicago City Council picked it as the site for the city's new international airport," when they were looking to expand air travel beyond the busy Midway Airport. Land values began to climb with the success of the new airport, which was named for aviator Edward H. “Butch” O'Hare, and soon after, corporations began moving into the area so they could take advantage of the "proximity to other cities provided by the airport."