Gage Park

The development of Gage Park began in 1873 when South Park Commissioner George W. Gage began working on a planned park at the intersection of Western and (what is now known as) Garfield Boulevard. The development of the area slowed after Gage's death in 1875, but the small community began to see a growth in population after the turn of the century. Between 1900 and 1910 the "electric trolley extended its service to Western and Kedzie Streets, contributing to a building boom," and because of its proximity to freight lines, companies, including Central Steel and Wire Company, Royal Crown Bottling Company, and World's Finest Chocolate, opened in the neighborhood, offering reasons for new residents to move to the neighborhood.