Founded in 1857 by Lyman and Joseph Budlong, the Budlong Pickle Farm and Factory was located just north and west of the intersection of Western and Foster. The business was one of the area's first major employers, and it quickly "became the primary supplier of pickles and pickled beets in the Chicago area." The Budlongs became millionaires by the end of the 1860s, and in 1880 they expanded their farm to include greenhouses in order to grow flowers year-round.
The area where the farm existed is now called Budlong Woods, and it is part of the larger Lincoln Squarecommunity area. The neighborhood "is now home to many ethnic groups, each of which has enriched the community's culture and expanded its identity to include customs and traditions from around the world," and it "continues to draw people from all walks of life."